Old
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
There are a few things to consider.

First off, the cap will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. In 2 years, i don't think we'll be having a ton of cap issues, at all.

Secondly, even though these guys are somewhat overpaid (some moreso than others) they're all very serviceable players. They all have some sort of positive role that they can fill on a team, and it's not all "leadership and experience." There's always a team that needs a Goc, or Bergenheim. I don't see a problem with dumping the guys that will eventually get replaced as our vast prospect pool shifts into gear.

This is the definition of a transition team. Depending on how things play out, we could be challenging for a playoff spot come March/April. If we make the playoffs, great. If not, it should be an excellent year, and our prospects aren't being rushed into the lineup -- something we've absolutely failed at over the past 10 years. The purpose of this offseason was depth, and we definitely bought that for ourselves. I'm very happy. Not just for this year, but also for the future.
I'm not worried about the cap if it keeps going up. All these contracts would be off the books by the time we spend significant money anyway. But we do have an internal budget and some young guys will be getting raises. For example, Kulikov could command a few million/yr next summer if he has a good year. Furthermore, we need to make space for some of our prospects in the next year or two. As I said above, you can't hoard guys in the minors forever. The waiver rules prevent that from happening. At some point, we have to ship some of these overpaid forwards off. Yes, some teams will always need a Goc or a Bergenheim. I'm not worried about Goc being able to be traded, but guys like Bergy, Kopecky, Flash? Yes. They are very overpaid.

I understand what Tallon was doing here today, but that doesn't change the fact that most of these guys are not only overpaid, but on long term deals. The latter is the part that worries me. I know we had to reach the cap floor, but it's the length of the deals. I still think someone is going to be traded though to remedy that. I'm thinking Booth.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote