Old
07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
They don't play games in summertime. MZA will be 24 at the start of the season. Sheeesh...

My objection was specifically to the argument that MZA is the better prospect because MZA is playing in the NHL & McIlrath isn't.

The point is MZA was born in 1987 & McIlrath was born in 1992. Four & a half years difference in age or five, the point is the same. MZA's upside is now (meaning that if he's ever going to be ready for NHL duty as a top 6 forward, it has to start in 2011-12. ) If he doesn't win a top 6 spot on the roster, it's unlikely he'll contribute on a NHL checking line. And a 24 year old playing in the minors isn't a huge prospect.

McIlrath's upside may be 3 years from now, when he's 22. If he's not playing regularly in the NHL at that time, then I'll start to worry.
It's not just about upside though. It's also about the likelihood that a player reaches that upside. There are a lot of people that are skeptical that McIlrath ever comes close to reaching his potential. Yes, it's silly to write him off at this point in his career, but it's not totally off base to question his "bust factor."

Potential? I think the edge goes to McIlrath, for sure. Likelihood of reaching potential? For me, the edge goes to Zuccarello right now. Taken together, I give a slight edge to Zuccarello, as I'm not a betting man and I like playing it safe.

I can understand why people would take McIlrath over Zuccarello, absolutely. But I don't think it's unreasonable to give Mats the nod over Dylan at this moment in time.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote