View Single Post
Old
10-20-2003, 04:43 AM
kraigus

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I'm not knocking Smyth but if you just want to compare points, Raffi's were right in the thick of the action when the games were still being hotly contested and Smytty's were just the icing on the cake.

You could make a good case for Staios and a couple other players, but without Raffi's contributions right now we'd be sitting at about 1-4-0-0.
Agreed that Torres is more valuable than the stats show, but - and I think it's a big but, like JLo sized - one of the problems the Oilers have had in the last, oh, decade, is putting teams away. They'll often go up a goal, then cough up a tying goal and (it felt like) as often as not wind up losing. They *need* icing on the cake, they *need* guys who aren't afraid to kick the other team when they're down - and I'm not talking in the ribs here, people - and Smyth is one of those guys. A single goal lead just isn't enough, never has been. 2 is better, 3 is best. (All that crap about a 2 or 3 goal lead being harder to protect is just that, IMO, crap. It's harder to protect a 1 goal lead because all the other team has to do is tie it is to score one goal. Seems pretty clear-cut to me.)