View Single Post
Old
10-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Spearing47

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I wonder if it's as simple as they talked to him after the 74 point season, and so got their foot in the door, whereas some other teams didn't really notice til after the 101 point season? I'd sure want to reward the team that had a little faith in me, if that was the sitch.

Of course, I could be totally wrong - perhaps our inside line will comment?
In fact, nobody really noticed him the year the year he had 74 points, he was playing solid hockey, he was good defensively, racked up a few points and fight sometimes. No teams invited him to a pro camp or even show a little interest. In fact his agent received 0 phones calls...

The year when he broke the record he was so dominant. Total control of the game, he was quicker than any other D-man in the league, had a better shot and was surprisingly phisically dominant. I think that's where they began to notice him. That year he had so much pressure when he was around 35 goals that he had chronic back pain due to stress. he was the only player on Shawinigan bench to stay up all game long, he wasn't able to sit!! All the papers and the tv talked about it everyday, it was the first time he had to deal with pressure. That's why he's now so strong mentally, he never had it easy in his career.

During the year 2000 when media were talkin' about the record, a few scouts came to Shawinigan to see what was going on. But no real interest was shown. But during 2000 playoffs, where Bergy had a strong run, teams like St.Louis, Edmonton and Dallas showed some kind of interest. But the team that fitted more his style was the Oilers. His agent looked at the depth chart of each team and the Oilers were te best organisation to end up with. They are proven to rely on their organisation more than any other team to fill their needs. So in may 2000 they made him an offer (Oils are the only team that offered him a contract) and he accepted it rigth away!

Well...to sum up, it took him a 46 goals, 116 points 209 Pim in 84 games to get noticed!

You'll see...he's a winner. And nothing really scares him...that's the funniest part!