View Single Post
Old
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
EasyMac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Paul Holmgren

In an interview recapping day one of free agency Paul says in regard to the signing of Andreas Lilja: "Hed be a good fit, whether its with Erik Gustafsson or Oskars Bartulis or Andrej Meszaros, I think hes a guy that could play with any of those guys in a penalty-killing role." he later went on to say "I think hes going to play a lot of games for us". Anyone else catch that? If he is "going to play a lot of games" for the Flyers you have to figure that he'll be the 6th D-man right? So why would he ever be playing with Gus or Bart? I don't think Paul would mention Gus and Bart in that instance if he is only counting on them for injury fill ins/call ups. Plus only one of Gus or Bart could even be on the roster if Lilja is the 6th D-man. Unless a D-man is moved. With rumors circulation that the Flyers are still going to make a trade I'd say a D-man will be included based on what Paul said. Am I reading too much into Paul's words or do you think he'd be that stupid and go with a Gus/Bart/Lilja 3rd pairing?

I am guessing that Lilja will be the 6th/7th dman. I imagine Holmgren is realizes they won't make it through the season with all 5 top defenders playing 82 games, so when everyone is healthy he will be playing with Mez, and when there are injuries he will be playing on the 3rd pairing with Gus/Bart.

On the other hand, at the rate this offseason is going, who knows what could happen.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote