Thread: Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)
View Single Post
Old
07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Homebrew76

vCash: 500
B's fan here, but most importantly a loyal Ryder follower since his Junior days as my family hails from Bonavista and I know him well enough to have had a few autographed kids jerseys sent my way at XMas time.

Him and Adam together in the dressing room will make for a great dynamic. Adam is overpaid at 2 Million as he's a 5th/6th defenseman. Hopefully he is able to stay healthy and grow into a 3rd/4th defenseman, and if so I'll be very happy for him.

Ryder's offense will likely improve in Dallas with increased responsibility and ice time, but at the same time he will have his defensive lapses. Ryder is very good on the back check when he is skating hard, but once the opposition is set up in the zone, Ryder isn't one to make the play to break down their offense. As well, it seems he doesn't always play motivated and when that happens, he doesn't skate hard and is invisible on the ice.

Boston has done well because they are such a deep team forcing Ryder to play on the 3rd line, but moving up to 2nd line when needed because of injuries or such. That is where he is probably best suited. Putting Ryder on the 1st line with your best playmaker will just force him to play against first line defense pairings where his job will be that much harder.

I'm certain that on the top line with Ribero, Ryder can put up 30g-30a-60pts. But that probably won't be enough to win a lot of games as his +/- will likely not be great (-10 to +10 at the end of the year).

Now if Dallas could have gotten another top 2 center that would probably change things.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote