View Single Post
Old
07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Henderson19

vCash: 500
First, another apology for the Leaf trolls...but happy to see some healthy dialog as well. I'd rather share intelligent conversation with knowledgeable hockey fans anywhere than put up with some of the 13-year-olds that populate the Leaf board. Plus, I've been to a game in Nashville. It was a great atmosphere and the guys up in that one section (was it 303? 301?) really had it going! Good stuff.

Regarding the trade, as many have posted, the Leafs can handle the cash flow with Lombardi's contract. Presumably, it's more of a burden for Nashville ownership. Since both teams would get cap relief from the LTIR, this is truly a cash flow question. Hopefully, it translates into resigning the necessary guys (Weber, etc), plus some offensive help. Franson definitely helps as a 3-5 blueliner for us, even if he might have been a bottom pairing guy for you guys.

As for Lebda, he struggled mightily in Toronto, but was a serviceable bottom pairing guy on a stronger Detroit squad in years prior. His mistakes were largely mental, imo. I imagine Lebda returns to form in a place like Nashville, where his lace color is not dissected daily on talk radio. His upside is as a second PP guy who can bring the puck up ice and plays decent positionally. The brain cramp mistakes (that didn't exist in Detroit) will likely disappear now that he's left Toronto. There is reason to expect better than he showed last year.

As for other moves, Poile is a brilliant GM. Every market has different expectations and pressures, but you're blessed with solid hockey men in Poile and Trotz. Good luck going forward.