View Single Post
Old
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Predsrule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
On it's face, it looks like a terrible trade. I've always liked Franson, and we essentially get nothing (usable) in return...

But my thought is it frees up a little bit of space for us (along with the Dumont buyout) to secure our future with Shea Weber (and possibly Suter and Rinne at the same time) as well as shop for a decent forward to give our offense a little depth (I think the UFA market is too shallow and expensive this year to make a good, solid move).

Yes, I realize Franson was one of our big bargaining chips for offense...but might there have been a possibility that Poile had already tried to make some moves with him, yet had no luck? We'll probably never really know. Plus, Franson is kind of an tweener on our blue line...he possesses a good shot/good offense, and decent defense...but I can't say he really excels at either. Plus, he's about as slow as Andrew Brunette. In other words...he's expendable. My guess is that management figures with the growth of Blum during the playoff run, that spot will be locked up...and that one of the newer kids in the system will be able to replace Franson's offensive ability (I know he's constantly mentioned as trade bait on here -- but I think Ryan Ellis could be a very good player for us).

Just remember, some of these moves are made for the long term health of the franchise. Although I would LOVE to see our Preds win the Stanley Cup in 11-12, I really don't see that as very likely. We're inching closer (with our core, at least)...but we still need to move some parts around, and let others develop (I think there are some promising kids, like Beck, Latta, and Smith in the system, along with some already familiar faces like Geoffrion and Halischuk) and work their way into the lineup.

If you've been a Preds fan for this long, you should know the meaning of patience. It's a virtue...and last time I checked, panic wasn't.
Wow somone that gets it. Just how I felt just lazy to write it out. We can't judge this till we see where the money goes. For now its the same team as the end of last year. That team worked pretty well