View Single Post
Old
07-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Coppy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
So we gave Carter and Richards their lifetime contracts earlier than the others will likely receive theirs...
Do you really think the others' contracts will have a cap hit that is that much more than either Carter or Richards? Remember, the players couldn't care less about the cap hit.
Do I think Toews, Kane Getzlaf and Perry will get contracts with an annual cap hit more than $5,272,727-$5,750,000? Umm.... Yes, by a lot.

Quote:
Because we all know hockey careers are guaranteed....What could possibly go wrong for a player? Good thing we didn't give Lindros a lifetime contract. He would've been ripped off!
You said they didn't sign for cheap. They did. You're just highlighting one of the possible motives they had for signing for cheap.

Quote:
Yeah, and the team helped them out by guaranteeing them each nearly $60 million.
Again, potentially a lot less than what they could have earned. It wasn't like the Flyers did them any favors.

Quote:
I tend to think that athletes would like long term financial stability in a sport where players go down daily, some never being able to return to prominence. I bet Gagne wished he had Richards' contract.
As mentioned, Kane, Toews, Getzlaf and Perry all will be in their late 20's when they hit Unrestricted free agency.
Crosby will be 25 when he becomes an UFA.
Malkin 27
Kopitar 28

They could have taken less money for security. They choose instead to structure deals so they could become free agents in the prime of their career.

Quote:
Also keep in mind that Richards and Carter didn't reluctantly sign their contracts. They were obviously happy with the terms, or the wouldn't have signed. The team dicked them over in the manner in which it traded them, but "it is what it is."
Which is pretty much what I'm saying.