Thread: Glen Sather
View Single Post
Old
07-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Why is no one the least bit concerned about the lack of defensive responsibility that Richards brings?

I understand tht he will counter that with an improved power play, but in combo with his recent concussion and his 9 year contract, I am not sold on this deal. Our two top paid forwards are the most likely ones to go down.

Hopefully they both stay healthy, but if either goes down, big trouble is coming for years.
You don't really get good offensive players who are also very good defensively. All the top teams in the league have players who are good offensively and usually only OK at best on defense.

Is it somewhat of a concern? Perhaps. But what exactly do you want his team to do instead of taking a shot at a guy like Richards? Say "oh this offensive player is not good on defense better not do it just gonna stay the course and play with only one legit 1st line player and magically hope the team gets better"?

This is the whole issue with getting Richards...without him, the Rangers just aren't gonna get a shot at being a cup contending team without tearing everything down again and restarting (trading players for a surefire centerman, or tearing down to rebuild with high draft picks). The odds of magically finding one in the later rounds of the draft aren't that great. So...you take a bit of a risk to get a decent shot at contending for the cup soon, or you sit there with your thumb up your ass and waste the best years of the guys you have developed at this point

As for his concussion, if he's healed up he should be just fine. The biggest problem is if he didn't give the concussion time to heal. He hasn't missed many games at all in his career so I'm hesitant to call him the most injury prone. Odds are good that Callahan is out for significantly longer than Richards in any given year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote