1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. TBL
5. PIT
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. ___

8th looks like the only spot we'll be in contention for...

TOR, MON, NJD, CAR

FLA, WPG, OTT

The east is getting TIGHT, we need significant improvements to make the playoffs IMO. We need a consistent game changer up front...
Philly is being over-rated. You don't lose your two best players and get better. Richards and Carter are huge holes that haven't been filled. A 39 year old Jagr isn't enough. Vorachek and Schenn are nice editions but I have a hard time believing Vorachek will add more than Leino. Schenn is also young. Versteeg and Carcillo were also lost but that should be addition by subtraction.

Pronger is older and Philly's tenders played very well in the regular season last year. I expect them to drop. If they faulter out of the gate -- look out -- all hell will break loose.

What happens in Tampa if Stamkos is gone?

Buffalo lost Connolly and added Leino -- lateral move. Erhoff is good but his soft play and -13 in the playoffs is a concern. Let's remember his 50 points last year were a career year playing on the leagues best powerplay. Lots of excitement with the new owner but I'm unsure how Erhoff translates into instant contender status.

Boston will suffer from the Stanley Cup hang-over and nobody will take them lightly.

Guess what I am trying to say is that other than Washington and Pittsburg (if healthy) I don't see a lot of sure things in the east. It will be close to the wire like last year AND like every year there will be plenty of surprises.