View Single Post
Old
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I really don't get the Franson trade...

W the F was that? What the hell did Poile think? Telling me Habs couldn't offer better? Or any other team?
Lombardi has had too many concussions, so his contract isn't insurable, which means Nashville was going to have pay out the last two years of his contract in full, because insurance wasn't going to pay for it and teams aren't allowed to buy out an injured player.

It sounds like Lombardi's career is done. The Leafs will put him on LTIR and not lose any cap space because of him, and they will pay out the $7m Lombardi is still owed on his contract. The Leafs have money to burn. In return for this, they got a very good young defenceman.

For Nashville, it looks like Jonathan Blum is ready for the NHL, and I'm sure Ryan Ellis will get a long look at training camp. Preds could still use another D now though, because Brett Lebda sucks. They also still need to spend $10,779,167m just to reach the cap floor, but at least that money will now be spent on serviceable players rather than Lombardi.