View Single Post
Old
07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Well, Slovakian hockey in general has absolutely fallen to pieces in recent years. Their hockey program is in an awful state.

What are the numbers on other nationalities in the NHL? I feel like there's been an increase in Swedes and Finns in recent years. That would account for part of the drop off in numbers of Russians and Czechs. There's also the fact that hockey is still growing in popularity in the States, and our program is growing stronger by the day. And, I'd guess, producing more NHLers.

This is the breakdown year by year that got me thinking about this topic in the first place: http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_Pla...ionalities.php

Sweden has been steady between 5% and 6% for almost 15 years now. There was maybe a 1/10 increase in their total number of players. Finland has been between 2% and 4%, though it fell to 2.5% last year.

Americans, however, are at an all-time high at 24%.

But I am not sure that the increase in Americans explains the fall in East Europeans. I think that the rise of the RSL and then the KHL is a bigger reason.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote