View Single Post
Old
07-05-2011, 09:02 AM
GardinerExpressway

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i would much rather pay mac a little more on a 1 year deal to prove that he is legit then argue over money/term. im sure if burke offered him $4 million on a 1 year deal he would take it.

as for bozak, i think he will get his **** together. i think he is an ideal 3rd line center for us. i hope burke gets a deal done with him. im thinking $1.5 x 2 years is a good deal for bozak.
Yes Mac would absolutely take that, but we shouldn't offer it. Arbitration will never be that high and we lose him at the end of the season anyway. The big problem with this "prove that he is legit" business is that he's a UFA at the end of the season regardless. In other words, if he does prove it, he can rake us over the coals a year later.

We should give him a little more term in return for a friendly cap hit and have faith that he wasn't a flash in the pan. What's the worst case scenario here? He turns out to be the solid 3rd line player we thought we were getting in the first place and at 3m/yr is a steal relative to the contracts that are out there right now.

As for Bozak, I completely agree with you, 1.5/yr over two years. He'll still be a UFA at the end, which sucks, but by then we'll know what's going on with Grabo/Kadri/Colborne/etc. and shouldn't be hurting down the middle like we are now.