View Single Post
Old
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I guess I'm the only one who would rather sign him to a shorter term deal. I'm really curious what the cap landscape will be after the CBA expires. To me, the escalation in salaries cannot be something the NHL owners are happy about. We are fast approaching, if we haven't already surpassed, the inflation adjusted salary costs of the pre-lockout days. I'm hoping a new CBA sets more conservative cap figures that attempt to eliminate the haves and have nots as opposed to just moderately muting the differences between the two.

My only issue with a shorter deal is that it typically corresponds to higher per year money as the risk is greater to the player. But even with that, I'd rather do a short-term deal. I have no issues with trying this whole UFA thing again in 2-3 years in the same way we did it this year (i.e. the year before he's set to be UFA again). Then, as now, if he wants to stay with the organization, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. Of course, that does give Poile even more time to mess more things up.