View Single Post
Old
07-05-2011, 08:34 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I'm not sold Boyle can replicate what he did last season. Anything more than a 2 year deal would be a mistake as robruckus mentions below.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like Sauer as a player and would like to keep him around at least a couple more seasons. He brings a nasty element to the defense that this team has lacked since the pre-lockout days.

My point is that if McIlrath becomes something even close to what management thinks he is capable of, the defense is looking pretty crowded 2-3 years down the line. It's a good problem to have, but you figure that out of what we have, Sauer would most likely be the odd guy out given what he brings to the table and how similar it is to what McIlrath would bring.
That's one of those bridges I think you cross when you get to it. The 5th and 6th D on a team are usually pretty much wild cards. Del Zotto could come back and be the next coming of Leetch. Or he could be a complete bust in the NHL. There could be serious injuries. Trades. We just don't know what to expect. I think you have to take things day to day and year by year here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He will get better on face-offs and he will only get stronger.

People writing him off as a 1-year wonder have another thing coming. This is a guy who took it upon himself to seek out Barb Underhill before it was the "cool" thing to do so that he could stick in the NHL. Do you think he lacks work ethic?

(This post is not totally directed at you Eco's)

I'm not writing him off. I liked Boyle last year. Granted he really fell off towards the end of the season, and that is a concern with him given his style of play. I'm just concerned with giving any player extended years and money based on one season. If Boyle is as good as you think he's going to be then he won't mind a significant raise, a two year deal, and a chance to sign for more after that.