View Single Post
Old
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
We don't have a hole? You're the one that said we still need to get stronger in the bottom 6. Hickey's injuries have brought his development down, he's not the same player Lombardi thought he would be right now when he took him off the board. If a GM doesn't trade a player just because he drafted him too high, he should be fired. Hickey won't get dumped for a 3rd or 4th round pick like Grachev/Filatov without having been given a shot. Not to mention there is no problem with getting stacked on the deadline such as getting another 2nd line forward and bumping Brown/Richards down to the 3rd line. there is absolutely no problem with that when a team is giving all they got to get that Stanley Cup.
I still do believe we have a hole. I seem to be the minority so thats why I said we don't. This isn't one of those cases like Filatov where he was drafted high and had issues with the coaches and didn't play well in their system. This is a case of a high draft pick having injuries set him back and not have any opportunity to prove himself. In our situation, where we don't have a GLARING hole (happy?) and have no reason to wheel off a young, high draft pick, it'd be a failure to not at least give Hickey a chance to put together a full year at the AHL level. For all we know, Hickey could still turn out to be a stud defenseman for us. The only thing right now saying that he won't be is injury setbacks. So while we have no glaring holes we need to fill and no reason to ship off Hickey, I think its a failure to move him.