View Single Post
Old
07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Swimmer, you seem a bit bitter at the Habs for letting Halak and Hammer (your countrymen) go, but you need to get over it. Part of the business. And neither has anything to do with the value of Josh Gorges, which you are attempting to measure by his worst asset (offensiveness).

He's a heart-and-soul warrior who has learned from Gill how to be an excellent #3-#4 defensive D-man. We have our PMD's, Gorges is clearly our best DDM. He deserves a 3-mil per year deal. The longer, the better. If we have to 'overpay' by .25 or .50 mil, whatever. Would certainly be far better then a 1-year deal that leads to him testing UFA next year. You've seen the signings this off-season, look how much Wiz got. Next year will be the same. If Gorges tests UFA he's out of our price range, period.
Not bitter about anything. Actually I'm trying to understand Gauthier's thought process and granted I'm having a tough time.

The Halak deal I completely understood. I didn't like it but understood it 100 %. I'm not as confident in Gauthier's ability to rebuild the D. I do think Gorges is overrated. I think at best he is a good # 4 d-man in short term spurts. That's all. What annoys me the most about Gorges is his inherent ability to be pushed into the crease. He's physical only in that he will try to hit someone but I've never seen him throw a punishing blow.

The only thing that Gauthier has done that's impressed me with the D so far is sign Emelin. I just don't see a huge upgrade over what the Habs had last year. In fact to face possible injuries it's worse especially if either Markov or Subban are injured.

Just seems like Gauthier is more willing to give money to bottom pairing d-men and let legit top 4 d-men walk out the door. And it's a team that needs help at ES no less.

Wiz supposedly never was offered a contract by Gauthier. It's possible he would have taken less to stay in Montreal as he so expressed. We'll never know I guess.

And admittedly I do dread the thought of Gill possibly pairing with Subban on the second pairing.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote