Thread: Tom Renney
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Ola, you said 'Its really hard for a sniper to go up against well collected defense, Balej doesn't have the muscle mass to handle that'...That's been one of my problems with Balej thus far. I saw him the prior year in the playoffs when he was successful - he seemed to be very fancy and was able to beat guys one-on-one. My problem with that was that he's not talented enough to do that in the NHL (didn't think he was like a Kovalev or someone with immense talent). I'm just thinking, and hoping, that Balej adjusts better to the NHL game. There's all sorts of excuses for last season. That's done. I'm ready to see what he's got now.
I agree 100%. On a regular basis you don't beat defensemens 1 on 1 in the NHL. Most of the time a D have to make a misstake to be beaten 1 on 1. Take a poor defensive D like Poti, in a season he is still not beaten wide/1 on 1 more then a handful of times. Balej needs to get stronger and more verstaile. Guys like Palffy and Sakic can create much against collected D's because they always are in controll of all options. They can make the right decision to pass or shoot in a split second. Balej needs to get better in that area.