Thread: Confirmed with Link: Marc Methot Re-signs: 4 years, 12 million
View Single Post
Old
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Just visiting (peacefully) - I'm puzzled by this signing. I considered Hejda to be the much better player, but they let him go and gave Methot almost the same deal that Hejda took from the Avs?

I've seen a decent number of Jackets games and I was aware that Methot was on the team, but I have never seen him do anything that left any kind of impression - good or bad (that's not necessarily a bad thing if he's a stay-at-home guy). So when I looked up his numbers I was a bit shocked at the $$ on this deal.

You guys would know better than I - is he considered a shutdown defender in these parts, or at least well on his way to becoming one? Was this a panic move after losing Hejda? Did they make a similar offer to Hejda and he decided he was leaving no matter what? It's not as big of a head-scratcher as the Pardy deal, but I'm still confused by it. Any info would be appreciated.
I know I'll read my replay to you back to myself and have to swallow some harsh language but Methot outperformed Hejda by a long shot last year in my opinion. For the first half of the year he was the best defenseman on the Jackets (that's the harsh language by the way ) He tailed off pretty dramatically towards the end of the year but he was noticably better last year.

He may have played too many minutes too early but he should be capable of 20 min per night or more. He's an above average skater and has some size. Hejda had lost a step and was even more lost when he had to step over the red line (again, my opinion). At Hejda's age it didn't make sense to sign him for $3M per and certainly not for 4 years. He was on the decline (permanent or bad year? We'll learn more this year) and Methot was on the upswing and is only 26.

Methot is going to have to be a shutdown guy although I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with Wiz. I think Methot is a better skater than Tyutin and is better in the defensive zone which may be helpful with Wiz. So to answer your question yes, he's a shutdown guy but I believe he has more in the bag but needs to step up the hockey sense a little.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote