View Single Post
Old
07-06-2011, 11:56 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
i doubt we'll see as big of a jump as we did this year though. bettman would basically be pulling the plug on smaller market teams if that's the case.
We saw a 4 mil jump this year. The new NBC/Verses contract begins this fall and each team gets an INCREASED TV money of about 6 mil. Thus, unless there is a LOT more loss shown by many teams, I think it will be safe to assume that we will see a LARGER increase in the cap for the 2012/13 season than we saw for the 2011/12 season. Many teams like the Flyers will most likely see an increased revenue on their own let alone what they get from national TV money. The salary cap could reasonably reach 70 mil for the 2012/13 season.

Taking this one step further, the US economy, although not doing great, IS in fact showing signs of rebounding. Projections now put us at a slow but steady growth of 2.25-2.75 % for the near forseeable future. The housing industry and auto industry are leading indicators for the economy. When thos markets take a downturn, the rest of the economy sees a downturn in 6-12 months. They are also the first industries to see a rebound when the economy is on the rise (hence the reason for Oboma giving the "new car buyer" and "new home buyer" tax breaks, he was attemtoing the jumpstart the economy). Knowing the housing industry as I do I can tell you that it IS increasing. It should see somewhere between 2 and 2.25 % growth in new home sales this year (slightly lower than they initially predicted but still within their 10-year projections). This shows an increase in disposable cash as a whole for the US economy and should translate into about a 4-5% growth in entertainment spenditure. Carrying this through for the 2013/14 season, if we see just a 4% growth in the NHL (most likely a conservative number) the 70 mil cap limit for the 2012/13 season will likely grow to at least 73 mil.

In just 2 years we will most likely see an increase in the cap of around 10 mil.

However, the new CBA may throw a HUGE monkey wrench into the entire working machine that is the NHL financial network.

Last edited by phlocky: 07-07-2011 at 02:47 AM.
phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote