View Single Post
Old
07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
That's ********.

Only John Carlson played more minutes than him in the playoffs - and thats without Hannan playing on the PP (cause frankly, if you're talking about offensively, he's not that good).

Washington may have wanted Hamrlik to help out their 2nd PP wave. They may have also wanted a short-term deal. They have to worry about signing Semin & Wideman next year.

Hannan is just 32-years-old. I'm sure he's probably hoping for a 4-5 year deal right now. He's also probably looking for similar money ($4.5M/season).

He's a very good defensive defenseman who hits, blocks shots, and plays his position well. He's very similar to Hamrlik except he NEVER gets caught in the offensive zone. Think of Hamrlik never pinching and that's what you get - which is a ****ing awesome defenseman. I don't blame Hamrlik for pinching - he had too without Markov - but to say Hannan is not good is a complete lack of watching Washington play hockey.

Hamrlik gets so much hate here - and it's not warranted. Imagine we didn't have Hamrlik last year? The team would of been the joke of the league. Same with this year - if Markov goes down, we are in big trouble.
I agree with the your assessment of Hannan. PG offered Hamrlik a contract because he needed him to fill a specific hole in the lineup. We still haven't filled that hole.

Hannan is still a top 4 dman. He can eat minutes. He won't put up points, but he is a rock defensively is exactly what we need. We're missing a big minute responsible defensemen.