View Single Post
Old
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Including Del Zotto in trade proposals isn't "giving up" on him. Have you ever heard the saying "you have to give to get"? Well it just happens that of the pieces on this team that would have value in a trade (or we could assume would have value in a trade, since we fans don't really know) Del Zotto is more expendable than a Dubinsky or a Stepan or Staal. Erixon wouldn't be as valuable in a deal - he's never played in the NHL and we just acquired him - and neither would Sauer, who will also probably be cheaper to retain in the long term and plays a different role. McDonagh is going to be a better d-man, and I doubt anyone wants to part with him. Del Zotto is simply a bit more expendable than anyone else and that's why he's included in proposals. Everyone knows he could still be a very good player and I believe everyone HOPES he will be. But if we're going to make a move, most people would rather not include an already set roster piece. Del Zotto had a good rookie season and still has loads of potential and thus, most would assume, good value. If you have to give to get and nobody wants to give up the valuable guys who are already making an impact than Del Zotto becomes the obvious target. It isn't about not liking him, giving up on him, believing his career is over or throwing him under the bus. It's that you can't get anything of value back by offering Wolski + Christiansen.
I dont need a lesson on "you need to give to get." That is not the case here with MDZ. You're dealing a player that fits a need. I dont want to make any trades right now unless sather is going to fleece someone and I doubt that happens. I like the guys we have. We can win a lot of games with this roster, at least plenty enough that we'll be in a playoff position at the trade deadline when we should make a move for a 1st line LWer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
But we can't afford to give up Del Zotto when he is the only D-man in our system with any likelihood of having some offensive ability. Sure, Erixon and possibly McDonagh have some offensive potential, but not of Del Zotto's caliber. We cannot just roll 6 Robyn Regehrs out there if we want to win anything.
The thing with Erixon and McD are they are more Staal and Girardi-like. Though I think Erixon will be the guy with the best shot in the long run compared to the other 3, he still isnt a Brian Leetch type of player. We havent had anybody with the capability of running the PP in our system since Leetch. We finally got someone in MDZ and we're looking to deal him?

Mark my words, whether MDZ starts the season with the Rangers or with the Whale, he will eventually be on the big club and he will be producing a lot. Especially when given time on the PP next to Brad Richards.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote