View Single Post
Old
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
He's probably signed to be your 6th/7th defenseman. He's 27, he wouldn't have signed to play in the AHL and Sulzer's been on a 1-way contract the last 2 seasons. Spent all last season with Nashville and some time in Florida before getting hurt. I've been following him for a few years and I can tell you he's a decent player. He's nothing special, but he's capable of playing even 2nd pairing minutes. He had a few games over 20 minutes last year and handled it well, so he's definately an NHL defenseman.

Just my input on what I've seen from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
He can play the right side, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Not exempt either way unless he's on a two-way with the AHL end worth less than $105k, which seems unlikely but would remove the need for re-entry waivers.
Assuming this is the case then unless Tanev really blows everybody away (and/or Sulzer has a bad camp) - I'm guessing the "plan" is to use Tanev as the "shuttle guy" (letting Tanev play a ton of minutes in Chicago vs 3rd pairing/pressbox duty here).

Have Sulzer, Rome, and Alberts battle it out for the #6 spot (with the "losers" - #7/#8 - sitting in the pressbox); or just have these guys move in and out (depending on the opposition). Won't be long before Salo gets hurt, so one of the two pressbox guys will see action periodically thru the season.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote