Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wayne Simmonds signs 2-year deal; $1.75M AAV
View Single Post
Old
07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Ah, the dreaded Pittsburgh blindspot! Nonetheless, I really like that, even with carrying 23 men on the roster (including Laperriere), Paul Holmgren has room for call-ups and trading for (a bit of) salary during the season. He and Laviolette can be creative with the roster to keep Pronger and Timonen's minutes down through the first portion of the season.

What about starting the season with Walker on the roster, and playing him as much as possible for the first few months without ruining the team: bump up his minutes during blowouts (either way), give him PK duty, etc. This, of course, would mean relying more on Bryzgalov to steal some games, but I'm thinking of long-term benefit to allow Pronger and Timonen to get/stay healthy and rested for the playoffs. When he really starts becoming a liability, send him to Adirondack.

They can do the same with Lilja, and/or AHL callups who aren't waiver risks.
I want to see if Bartulis or Gustafsson can claim that 6th spot. If they don't completely fall off the chart in camp give one of them the chance to establish himself.

Lilja is a 35+ contract, he'll count against the cap even if he is in the AHL (unless somehow some other team would pick him up on waivers...)

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote