View Single Post
Old
07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
I don't get why people have such low expectations for Cole. First off, playing with a star doesn't automatically boost a player's numbers. It's a fallacy on these boards that, in upgrading one's linemates, your numbers automatically receive a boost. Is it possible this will happen? Yes, but it's not a guarantee. It's also not a guarantee a player's numbers will drop if he plays with someone who might not necessarily be as good as Staal. Speaking of, I have never really seen Eric Staal as the kind of guy who makes everyone around him better. He's not a playmaker who dishes off amazing passes to everyone. I always thought Staal was overrated: very good but inconsistent and not truly elite.

Furthermore, Cole is a guy who scores goals based off his speed and his determination. He drives to the net. He parks himself in front of the net to bang in rebounds. WATCH HIS GOALS ON YOUTUBE OR NHL.COM. I've done both and what I see is a guy who benefits from stretch passes for breakaways. Often times, these passes came from Pitkanen or other players, not necessarily Staal. Jokinen created a decent amount of plays for Cole, too. Cole himself is a very talented guy with really good hands. People here have forgotten just how good he used to be. You make him sound like some scrub. 20 goals and 20 assists?

My prediction: 29 goals, 31 assists, 60 points
It is not low expectation and I didn't say he was a scrub. I said I'd be happy with 22g+23a. The guy got more than 60 pts once in his career (2005-06). So I think I have fair expectation and I'm sure he'll be a major contributor to the success of this team.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote