Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wayne Simmonds signs 2-year deal; $1.75M AAV
View Single Post
Old
07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not saying you're wrong but how exactly do you "actively" attempt to come back from a brain injury? A lot of it is simply just wait it out. I'd say the development coach thing is more of giving him something to do to prevent utter boredom while he isn't cleared to play hockey, I think Hatcher did something similar.

I mean if he's working out and stuff so when he's cleared he can play, he can argue he's still hitting the gym and seeing a doctor and such but this is an interim job so he has something to do. And I don't think any NHL Board member will argue that if doctor's clear him to be a development coach and it won't hinder his recovery.
Hatcher didn't do anything in an official capacity until his contract was done. If Lappy was hanging around helping out, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, it isn't exactly a state secret that both he and the Flyers had every intention of him working for the organization when his career was "over".

The NHL has not stepped down too hard on these 35+ situations in the past, but this seems to be simply spitting on the rule.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote