View Single Post
Old
07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No doubt about that. No team can go on without guys like Prust. They are integral to the team, and I say this without any sarcasm. I truly believe this.

But everyone on this forum has been complaining about the lack of scorers on the team. Everyone wants a scorer to be drafted.

At the same time, everyone wants us to draft a big guy. The problem is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you have an early lottery pick, your odds of getting a big guy who can score are very slim and become almost non-existent in the second round.

Now, if a team wants to draft Mark Bell and Mike Rupp, more power to them. But they should know that this is what they are getting, rather than hoping for a power forward.

If a team needs size, go for that 6-4 guy, no problem.

But if a team is looking for scoring, they must realize that size and scoring show an inverse correlation for players ranked around the same (this makes sense: if a big guy is just as skilled as a small guy, he would be ranked MUCH higher, so if they are ranked the same, then the big guy must be lacking something the small guy has).

7 out of 15 midgets scored 0.5 points per game and only 2 out of 71 big guys. That is statically very significant, and a team trying to draft a scorer should be aware of this.
Well from what I've seen so far most of HFBoards has no idea what the hell they're talking about. People just talk out of their ass day in day out when saying what teams should do. And realistic expectations never enter their minds. Yeah it'd be nice to have a team full of 6'3" 30 goal scorers, but that's not going to happen.

I see the point of what you're looking at now though. I would rename it to something like "Odds of becoming an NHL scorer by height"

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote