View Single Post
Old
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Stuff such as what Jeremy Gover wrote at section303 is ticking me off a little. Saying Poile had to pay substantially more due to a qualifying offer mistake. It only makes me ticked (why care what some blogger misunderstands) because I've seen his blog claim cited already. Gover thinks if we were only getting one year that we were going to sign Kostitsysn for a 10 percent raise... I wonder if Gover knows Sergei didn't have to sign for a ten percent raise? Does he know offer sheets can be made by other teams to RFAs? (For no compensation for a $1 million offer, up to 1.57 million would be a 3rd round pick, up to 3.1 mill the comp would be a 2nd rounder) Did he know that Sergei had filed for arbitration? Does he know that O'Reilly also signed for more than a ten percent raise, yet only for one year? So supposedly that difference was overpayment due to a Poile 'mistake'?

We have no idea if Poile made any mistake with the qualifying offer. Only that the players unon thought they saw something. And even with a valid offer, Sergei was going to get a very substantial raise. Not ten percent. Maybe the pending greivance arbitration raised the amount, or maybe it didn't affect it at all and this is what the signing would have been regardless.

Quote:
... Kostitsyn deserved a raise.

But the raise he got was a lot more substantial than what he would have gotten had the Preds filed the paperwork correctly. Any restricted free agent (with Kostitsyn’s pay scale) given a qualifying offer is set to see a 10% raise. Instead, what he got was a 450% raise.

In the end, I’d have to say this is a good deal for Nashville. Sure, since they could’ve gotten one more season out of him at far less (had the ruling gone in the team’s favor), it stings a little. ...
Gover at 303

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-08-2011 at 10:13 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote