View Single Post
Old
07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Gover would have been right had sk not had arbitration rights. If he had been coming off his entry level contract without arb rights we could have signed him for a ten percent raise.
Not with the possiblity of Sergei being offer sheeted. At one million they'd get him for 'free' as far as draft pick compensation. That's already about an 80% raise, not a 10% raise. And I have to believe many teams would think he was worth the third round pick for an offer up to 1.5 million. And so on.

Or, he could have not agreed to sign for a ten percent raise even on the miracle no other team made an offer, and even if he didn't have arbitration. A qualifying offer doesn't mean he signs, it's not an automatic one year extension of a contract, he has to sign it. Unless I missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
But with arb rights we very well could have seen an award of substantially more than the 2.5 that he agreed to. ...
I don't think by a lot. If Sergei thought so, he had little to lose by waiting for that arbitration. I thought the way over 3 million numbers were a stretch. Because the arbitrator would value him as an RFA. The arbitrator would know that anything over 3.1 million teams would not only have to pay the 3.1+ million salary but also a 1st round draft pick as compensation. So how many would do that, especially not knowing if he was as good for their team as he was for us? And knowing Nashville might match and the offer sheet may only harm future trades with Nashville. Maybe if he had been declared an UFA he would have had much more, but the number he signed for doesn't make it appear that Poile was too worried about that grievance, or that Sergei thought he was going to be declared an unrestricted free agent.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-08-2011 at 09:33 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote