Old
07-09-2011, 11:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The first time we acquired him he was indeed effective for the end of the initial season. In his first full season he was an average player. Since then he has been more negative than positive.

My statement remains that his adulation far exceeds his on-ice value, and there is little doubt that most fan's first thoughts when it comes to Avery will be his antics, not his on-ice effectiveness.

Not quite sure how that is hyperbole.

There was another thread about overrated players. Has there been a more overrated Ranger by the fanbase than Avery?
He was very good his first full season with us. Produced decent offense, and probably played his best level of agitation-branded hockey in his tenure here. That season was well above average for a third line agitator. You're the first person I've heard dispute this, even amongst all the Avery detractors here.

And then as I said, he was again a good player and a spark during the quarter season after we re-acquired him.

I'm not looking to dispute your other points. Just the part about him being good here for only part of one season.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote