View Single Post
Old
07-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
The only player on the farm who--to me--looked capable of more than 5 minutes a night was Cody Hodgson. I saw nothing in Shirokov that made me feel he was worthy of getting gratuitous amounts of ice-time, and Jordan Schroeder could barely keep pace in the AHL this year, much less the NHL.
I just disagree with AV's fundamental belief of what a 4th line should be. He seems to want to run with 2 scoring lines, a checking line and a turd line. IMO championship teams shouldn't have a turd line. You need at least 1 player on every line that can skate, stickhandle and advance the puck through the neutral zone - AV doesn't seem to care to have anyone on his 4th line that can accomplish this and that's why he's always icing one of, if not the worst 4th line in hockey.

Whether it's Bolduc over Morrison, Volpatti over Shirokov or Tanner Glass over Cody Hodgson and Jeff Tambellini in the playoffs, they were all glaring mistakes IMO. I understand you want a certain element on your 4th line but there should always be a roster spot for 1 guy with an NHL skillset.

I just don't think you can get away with 3 useless hockey players on one line in today's game if you're aspiring to be a championship team - regardless of how many hits they throw. Hopefully Vigneault evolves and we see changes next season. I have a feeling we will. You just can't go 25 games without a single goal from your 4th line and think you're going about things the right way...