View Single Post
Old
07-09-2011, 06:03 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Looks like a decent trade

Shirokov had some real good spurts with the Moose and probably should have been given more of chance. For those of you saying Shirokov was not gritty enough I say you don't know what you are talking about. He went into traffic and was sturdy enough to give and take a hit. He played in close quarters very well at the AHL level. Shirokov, however, was marginal at the NHL level because he lacked speed from the blue line to the net and seemed to tire at times and fall into big periods of drought. When on his game was very good on the cycle in the offensive end but was never someone who could bust past you in open ice. Shirokov had to make it as top 6 player and this was never much of a certainty.

If Shirokov had been moved earlier then the Canucks might have gotten more for him. However, at this point you are glad to get anything back. Getting Duco is, I would say, a decent return at this point.

Thing I like about Duco is that he reminds me very much of Scott Walker. They are both good skaters, real physical and fearless in their play and both have and had showed a capacity to score. It was at the same point in his career that Walker left Vancouver and his career began to blossom. Not saying this happens for Duco but there is as much potential for this to happen than Shirokov busting out and becoming a top 6 player.

For those demanding the Canucks get grittier it is happening. Instead of getting the usual, and perhaps used up scrappers (such as Hordichuk) they are getting upper level AHL players who may be on the cusp of breaking thru. Whether this will work or not, or whether the Canucks are any better, is an open question. Yet, it now seems obvious that the Canucks had too much finesse (Shirkov, Grabner, Raymond, Samuelsson, etc) and too little grit and that imbalance is now being changed.