View Single Post
Old
07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Sergei was a top 6 player who was sent to the AHL after the team was "remodeled", it wasn't fair to him that he was passed over because of Gainey's quick rebuild. He deserved the ice time after what he showed in the previous season and playoffs and he was rewarded with the AHL. Obviously you expect a player to take it in stride and wait for his time to come (again), but he wasn't taking any of that. You could blame him for playing hardball and going to the KHL, but he knew he was good enough for the NHL and I believe he was right.

Despite all that, even if a player is a top 6 superstar, you won't win over your coach with that lousy behaviour. It was ultimately his undoing, to piss off half the team and the coaches, but it still leaves a sour taste in our collective mouths to see how he has blossomed and I'm certain 90% of us knew what he was capable of. Many fans here wanted him gone in the summer, and we kind of knew it was going to happen, but it still sucks to not have seen such a talented player evolve in our sweater.
As you know, I don't entirely agree. CLEARLY, he has to blame himself...he wasn't an angel. But I'd also say that he was a kid being a kid. People are just seeing some kids talk and believe they should all act that way. When you hear a Subban or a Beaulieu talk, you know that you have some exceptional kids in front of you (though, you read some of Nathan's tweets and you see that he's still a kid....). But they are not the norm. There are 18 year olds behaving like 18 year old.....Which mean, you need some people who are just at ease to work with those "troubled" kids than the rest of them. Some are able to. Some aren't. And it's not because you might have been able to do it 10 years ago, that you are still able to do it now. I'm pretty sure I would have been a more patient father if I would have had them at 30 than at 40.

So Sergei falls in the category of immature ones. Yet, we don't know EVERYTHING. Positive or negative. It's possible he was worst than we thought he was....but it's also possible he was not THAT bad. I mean, at one point you hear reports about how he is totally disruptive, that he never listens, that he's just not interested of improving and then...he goes to Hamilton. And then, you hear and read about how he was watching some videos with Guy Boucher, meetings that HE, SERGEI, asked to have. So he suddenly matured when he was sent in Hamilton?

Some players needs to be talked to. Okay, some here will say it's not kindergarden....well I'm sorry, but grown ups who work from 9 to 5 for a living, ALSO needs to be sure everything is in order, that he's doing a good job and that some reviews 2 or 3 times a year exist so that everything goes according to plan....Yet, you read and hear about how Martin doesn't talk that much to his players. Will work with some, won't with others. Others will say, well you do need to be traded once to then turn it around....Maybe....but I fail to see how a guy so incredibley immature and disruptive can change just with a trade. Wasn't he suppose to not care and just go in the KHL if no NHL team wanted him? If that guy was THAT bad, isn't it possible that being traded, for him, would just mean that Martin was wrong all along and that he was not going to change for anybody not even his new coach?

Nope. Jacques Martin DOES NOT do it on purpose. He does not sit on his chair and ask himself...."Which guy can I ****ed his development".....Obviously not. But he's not perfect. He has his persona. And if his persona is my way or the highway and that he prefers to go with guys who has an incredible work ethic and then try to improve instead of having the time to take a guy who's just not up to par and he doesn't have the time to babysit him....well, we will miss on some talents that takes longer time to improve mentally and physically.

It's all about confidence. Martin has confidence in some players....and unfortunately, there are other players that are just waiting for some confidence to get it going....and they don't get it. Strangely, most of the guys that left ended up playing a different role with their new team then they were with the Habs....and succeeded more there because of it.....Coincidence? Can it also be a problem of acknowledging what you have and play with the players' strengths? Why turn Latendresse in a hitting machine when they only bodycheck he gave in Juniors was with the mascot....in the dressing room?