View Single Post
Old
09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Snap Wilson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
well, best to worst...

I thought it was kinda self explanitory. At the peak of their respective games, which order would you take them in a draft (taking all aspects of the game into account)?
At the peak of their games and what order I'm taking them in the draft (assuming my team gets them for the entirety of their career) are two different things.

When are we playing? The 60s? The 70s? The 80s? What style of hockey does my team play? For instance, if I have some big, physical wingers already for him to line up with, I might take Espo first or second. If not, I'm looking elsewhere.

But what the hell: Assuming my team is starting from scratch and we're playing the hockey of the post-expansion, pre-merger era (where most of these guys had their greatest success) here are my picks:

1. Beliveau

Easy choice as the first pick. The Mario of his day, although not quite as dominant, a supreme package of size and skill as well as superior leadership qualities to boot.

2. Lafleur

Another easy choice from my perspective. The most gifted offensive player of the rest. Made all who played with him a hell of a lot better.

3. Trottier
4. Mikita

Tough to choose between them. I think in a different system, Trottier would have scored a heck of a lot more (look what he did in the late '70s), although he wouldn't have been the offensive force that Mikita was year in and year out. It came down to Trottier's ability to adjust his game to his team's needs, increasing his defensive responsibility and taking a more complementary role in the offense. Stan also changed his game to become more effective, but I'm not convinced that he could have made the transition that Trottier did quite as easily.

5. Hull
6. Bossy
7. Espo

All of these players provided the same thing. I rank them based on their versatility in providing that scoring. Hull could have scored anytime, anywhere, in any era. I rank him ahead of Bossy based on durability and grit, while Espo required physical linemates and a specific style of play to be as successful as he was. Granted, within that style of play, he was phenomenal. But coach MoneyP favors a more wide-open game, plus there's no guarantee that I get Bobby Orr to ride shotgun.

8. Clarke
9. Perreault
10. Dionne

The rest of these are fairly easy. Like Espo, I think Clarke required a specific style of play to be effective, and it's not one that I typically favor, although there's no denying his impact within those parameters. Perreault is a discernable step below the rest of these players, and Dionne, as entertaining as he was to watch, could get swallowed up by a physical defense.