View Single Post
Old
09-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
I also rate Raycroft higher, but there is plenty of time for either to prove me wrong.

I was under the impression, though I may be greatly mistaken that Turco and Nabokov were possibly going to be available this summer depending on circumstances. I'm not sure about the following summer, which is realistically the longest one could see Belfour holding out, but isn't Luongo a possibility at that point?

The Belfour/Stajan offer is a fair one, but the Leafs will have a lot of cash to throw around even if they retain Belfours contract. Without him on the books they've got a whole whack of salaray cap space to go hunting, provided of course goalies are available in the first place.
Given your logic, I'm not sure it would make sense for the Leafs to make a move like this either. I agree that Leafs should wait and take advantage of their space on the payroll. My only point was that the Leafs are not going to get Raycroft for another one of those standard packages that some fans are always posting here. Guys like Kaberle (impending UFA), Antropov (bust!), and Belfour (way past his prime and way overpaid) are not going to begin to get anything done. To get a young player who is years away from prime, the Leafs are going to have to put key assets like Stajan, Steen, etc on the table. And, I personally don't think that will happen. I think the Leafs will patiently develop their youngsters, and make a splash in the UFA market as their prospects reach prime. Ferguson has a master plan, and it is does not include forking over the assets it would take to land Raycroft.