View Single Post
Old
07-10-2011, 02:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Exactly!

However, I do think we need to keep Carle now. We lost a lot of offense this off season, and his ability to set up plays has suddenly become far more important.

Then again, it's possible that his defensive liabilities are going to become even bigger issues now that we've lost two very good two-way forwards. I'm hoping this shiny new goalie helps that.
I'm very interested in seeing if Carle steps his game up to another level. People hate him a lot on here and he did crap the bed in the playoffs. However, the guy has just too much skill to not be an effective defenseman. It's funny because I see a lot of Desjardins in Carle's game. Desjardins was effectively run out of Montreal for not being a thumper and was considered a very soft defender. He even had that reputation for the first two or three seasons he was in Philadelphia. Eventually, Desjardins was able to put it all together. I'm expecting the same thing of Carle.

What the Flyers really need is for Coburn to be a shutdown guy and be that guy consistently, night in and night out. I think that's the real key to the success of the Flyers defense. If Coburn can be that beast of a stopper, then this team will go very far. If he can't handle that role, then there's going to be problems. Pronger can't be that guy anymore, Timonen can't be that guy anymore, and Carle just doesn't have the physical tools that Coburn does to be that guy. Meszaros has the physical tools, but he's also got a great set of offensive tools and to utilize him in that role as stopper would be a waste.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not concerned about the forwards at all. Peter Laviolette has a great track record at working with young forwards, so there's no reason to believe that Schenn and Simmonds can't be successful under his watch. I also think Giroux takes his game to another level next year and gets close to or over the 100 point mark, while establishing himself as the premier forward on the team. JVR is ready to become the next great franchise left winger like Brian Propp.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote