View Single Post
Old
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And you're the only person on this board who still clamours for Hitchcock hockey. But hey, to each their own, right?
I am, where have you seen that BCF16?

Quote:
Fact is, a guy like Couturier very much matches well with Eric Staal. When you look at their games closely (and I suggest going to You Tube to look at Staal and then the QMJHL site to see Couturier), you'll see that they are very similar in stature and style when it comes to the game. While Couturier might not be the true goal scorer that Staal is, their games are very and eerily similar to one another.

I see nothing in Couturier's game that matches Jordan's. When you really think of it, Jordan has proven to be a good third line centerman, but if he's so good defensively, where are the Selke trophies? Yeah, he has a Stanley Cup, but he can think riding on the coat tails of Malkin and Fleury for that.

Seriously though, if you watch Couturier, you'll see that he's an Eric Staal clone. And I think 35 to 40 goals and 80 to 85 points is not out of character at all with regards to his future performance. And yeah, if he becomes a 20 goal, 55 point guy but is Primeau-like in terms of checking ability, then it is a disappointment because he has the tools to do more. And I'd blame the franchise for limiting Couturier to that kind of role.
You're missing the central point. There's no doubt Couturier has a high ceiling. Failure to reach that high ceiling should not manifest in labeling him a disappointment, however. 25-35-60 are VERY good prime year averages for a NHL player.... if you can do that for a career, you can threaten 1,000 points in the NHL.

Most players, even very good ones, will fall far short of that threshold... If Couturier turns into that type of player, that's a triple. Anything beyond that is a HR of a pick.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote