Thread: Speculation: Looking Ahead: Our 2012 UFA/RFA's
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
I just don't think Valentenko has the kind of value you think he does. I don't think he's going to be a full-time NHLer in his career. Dubinsky + Valentenko is basically like Dubinsky + 4th rounder or just... Dubinksy. In order to improve you have to weigh things and move players of actual value from areas you feel you have the most strength. The only way you're returning a top-six talent in a trade is if you're including at least one of:

Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Kreider, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal

Most people don't want to part with any of them. I wouldn't part with 95% of them. But if you want to acquire a top-six forward you're not doing it with Pavel Valentenko. Even if he plays 50 games in the NHL next season and even if you package him with Dubinsky in the off-season (what's the point? Dubinsky just creates a new hole in the top six) you're only going to get someone back who is roughly equivalent of Dubinsky because Vtank just doesn't have any real value. Unless he makes the team (a stretch in my opinion) and then WAY over performs, that isn't changing.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote