View Single Post
07-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Hockey State Expat
vCash: 500
I went down to Rochester for the summer block party, which had Alison Scott, Communist Daughter, Peter Wolf Crier, and Cloud Cult. Never heard of Alison Scott or Peter Wolf Crier before. The former was pretty good, although she and Communist Daughter just sort of played while everyone milled about at picnic tables and whatnot. Everyone filed towards the stage for Peter Wolf Crier, who really was pretty awful. His thing is that he sings, plays guitar, and plays bass with his feet using essentially the bottom half of a rock organ, and while it's cool to get that much sound out of two people, his singing sounded and looked like he was in physical pain.

Cloud Cult, on the other hand, were ****ing phenomenal, as usual. Probably the second-most energetic band I've ever seen live (Arcade Fire being the first). Their shows are just so damned engaging, and it's awesome how intimate their concerts are since they're more of a local scene band. The painting schtick is actually pretty sweet, and adds more to the experience than you'd expect. Also they played Mr. Tambourine Man, which was an awesome dance cover, and they changed The Ghost Inside Our House into a bluegrass song, which was unexpected but great. If the block party organizers didn't start taking the stage apart after the encore, I think the crowd was actually ready to cheer on a second encore.

Definitely glad I went down for the outdoor set, rather than waiting for their show at Orchestra Hall. I'm sure it will be cool, but I think this was a way better venue for them.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote