View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Proving Paton to actually be that percentage better, is much harder than it would be for a player like Orr or Harvey though.
Surely. I'm buoyed by the fact that Allan Cameron and Jack Campbell were both drafted in the ATD, Cameron at 653. Paton is more clearly the best goaltender than Cameron is the best cover-point, considering he had to compete against Campbell for that honour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'm puzzled. If those two players played a combined one season with/against Paton, why would I call them his contemporaries?
Because hockey in 1893 and hockey in 1888 are the same thing. The addition of the Stanley Cup did not change things overnight. The AHAC originated in 1887, and the same group of teams competed then and into the late 1890s. They're literal contemporaries in that their careers do overlap some, but more importantly the conditions in which they played were basically identical.

There is no era dividing line between 1892 and 1893; this distinction is artificial and not reflective of the game on the ice.