View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 07:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
False equivalency. Because we've had bad veteran defensemen in the past, we shouldn't bring in any veteran defensemen? Please.
No, the point is that we've utilized these questionable defensemen just about every year since the lockout, and I think these younger players, at worst, can provide the same level of effectiveness as those players ever did.

What effective 3rd pairing defenseman are you going to land out there on a 1 year deal? And it better be a one year deal, because if you look at the Rangers organizational strength in the system, it's the depth we have among defenseman, and there's no chance in hell we're tying up all 5 roster spots and asking V-Tank, MDZ, Erixon, Kundratek to fight for 1 roster spot over the next 2 years....

Quote:
Let me approach this from another angle: Do you want this team to be successful? Have you ever seen a tesam with 4 dmen with under 150 games of NHL experience be succesful?
Guess what? Teams do not have to build their anticipated playoff rosters in July. Nothing wrong with entering the season with spots to be earned and shopping for depth pieces at the deadline if need be.

Quote:
People love to ignore the effect of leadership and influence of people who have succeeded at this level before.
Please yourself... What is some washed up 3rd pairing veteran defenseman going to provide in the form of leadership that you can't get from Richards, Callahan, or Staal? Bryan McCabe? Are you serious? McDonagh & Sauer excelled last season in the absence of any veteran defenseman providing a 'leadership' role, so let's not pretend like adding leadership in the name of a 3rd pairing defenseman is a vital necessity here.

I'll take Eminger on the grounds that he'll sign for cheap, he'll sign a short-duration contract, and the Rangers won't hesitate to utilize him as a 7th defenseman if need be. But I'm certainly not adding him because of any leadership attributes. We have plenty of character on the team as is.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-11-2011 at 07:10 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote