Thread: Prospect Info: "All Things Peoria" thread...
View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
He has NHL starter potential. He's definitely higher than Bishop in terms of potential but a little behind him in terms of the depth chart since Bishop has 2 years of experience on him. Unless Bishop really takes the bull by the horns this season and actually earns the NHL backup spot, I think Allen will be passing him on the depth chart in short order.

In Peoria, Allen already did pass Bishop in some ways. He played 47 games to Bishop's 35 (although Bishop was in STL a couple times) while also besting Bishop in GAA, Sv% and win/loss record. Allen started off super hot and amazingly well for a rookie but then tailed off at the end. I can only guess but I would guess that he tailed off due to him getting fatigued at playing so many games, the team in front of him struggling because so many Rivermen were playing for the Blues the last 1/3 of the season and opposing teams naturally getting a better read on Allen as they saw more of him and learned his strengths & weaknesses and adapted accordingly. Overall though, numbers of 2.52 GAA, .917 Sv$ and a record of 25-19-3 is still pretty darn good for a 20 yr old pro rookie.

In regards to his value, I'd say he's likely worth more to the Blues than he is on the trade market. Goalies notoriously have low trade values even though goaltending is easily the most important position IMO and prospect goalies have even lower trade values as you never can be sure how a kid is going to develop. Allen has shown good progress through the QMJHL to the AHL so I definitely wouldn't look to trade him although any player is available for the right price in the right deal.