View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
He of course is an all-time great, but I certainly didn't want him in a top role. HO wanted him more and he fit the speed style. Samuelsson also was more HO.

Modano has been very good but if you want to build a wining team, Nieuwendyk will be more valuable than Modano. Their entire careers showed intabgibles to that effect. I'm glad Modano beat the early career knock on him as an underperforming goal scorer. But he never really lived up to the Sakic and Yzerman types who could put a team on their backs and lead a team to success. Modano is overrated imo. Is he HHOF material? Yes. He may never have come close to matching his 50 goal first season in Dallas, but a half dozen 35 goal seasons and 45-50 assist seasons a dozen times puts him at close to a point per game average. He's a great pick at some point, a good pick at other points, and a so-so pick at some points in the draft.
I couldn't possibly disagree more re: Nieuwendyk, and I'm not alone, but we'll leave that for another day on the HOH board.

I'm just not sure the above really matches what you (as TheSabre) said in ATD2011 when I praised Modano as an upper-crust 2nd liner in a 40-team draft. But then, that might have been TheSabre's opinion and not yours. I haven't really figured out that whole business, if TheSabre was, like ZM, a completely alternate personality, or just you in disguise

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote