View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 10:45 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Don't get too caught up in goals and assists and what "number" line they play on. You want guys like Boyle on your team.
Agree with this.

I don't see the point in dealing Boyle for a pick or a prospect. He's an excellent bottom-6 centerman that plays well in all 3 zones; yes, he may have peaked offensively, but two points on that:

1) Even if he did, he's still a very valuable third liner. If he can contribute 35 points while a) being able to play in a shutdown role and b) being an excellent penalty killer and teammate, you have a player who is significantly more valuable to your team than the assets you would garner for him in a trade.

2) I don't see why he wouldn't be able to at least stick at the 15 goal and 30 point marks; this was only his 2nd full NHL season, and while he isn't exactly the youngest player at 26, he's still developing as an NHL player. To say that it's impossible for him to replicate the goal total he put up last season is premature, IMO.

The only reason I would trade Boyle is to get a clear upgrade; and, I don't think anyone would be willing to deal a legitimate top-6 player for Boyle, unless it was a deadline move, or a reclamation project. He's a great teammate, good defensively, and can chip in 10-20 goals -- why trade him?