View Single Post
Old
07-11-2011, 11:06 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
He of course is an all-time great, but I certainly didn't want him in a top role. HO wanted him more and he fit the speed style. Samuelsson also was more HO.

Modano has been very good but if you want to build a wining team, Nieuwendyk will be more valuable than Modano. Their entire careers showed intabgibles to that effect. I'm glad Modano beat the early career knock on him as an underperforming goal scorer. But he never really lived up to the Sakic and Yzerman types who could put a team on their backs and lead a team to success. Modano is overrated imo. Is he HHOF material? Yes. He may never have come close to matching his 50 goal first season in Dallas, but a half dozen 35 goal seasons and 45-50 assist seasons a dozen times puts him at close to a point per game average. He's a great pick at some point, a good pick at other points, and a so-so pick at some points in the draft.
The knock on Modano is probably that he had to be in the right situation. Right coach, right linemates, right leadership, etc. He wasn't like Sakic or especially Yzerman where he proved over his career that he could excel with any linemates in any role. He underachieved at the beginning and end of his career.

But when he was in the right situation in Dallas, he was a great player. As good as any centre in the game. Funny you say he never matched his 50 goal season - while he didn't match the goal total, I think he was a lot better as a two-way player under Hitchcock.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote