View Single Post
Old
07-12-2011, 03:56 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lolz. Filatov was rated second best forward after Stamkos in 2008 and Filatov's skill level and projection was through the roof.

Filatov racked up almost a PPG in the KHL when he was there and Tarasenko has to do more than that next year for him to be "much, much higher than Filatov."
I won't argue how players were ranked going into a draft. That crap is nonsense to me.

But regarding honest projections, "current level of production" is a way of thinking that seems to dominate these boards, but obviously doesn't dominate the world of actual player development. There are guys who get over a point per game in the AHL, but cannot hack it in the NHL. And there are guys who get below a point per game in the AHL and continue to grow, becoming great NHLers. The same goes for every league, and it's especially true that the future is uncertain for a kid playing in a man's league.

As far as I'm concerned we could do away with the idea of more or less skilled and replace it with more or less able. Determination, character, leadership, physicality, play all over the ice, and many other abilities determine success in ways that skill alone cannot. Talk up Filatov's numbers all you like, but he and Tarasenko are cut from different cloth.