View Single Post
Old
07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I doubt it. His junior team is a business, and winning games is ultimately their purpose.

In addition to that... we are not going to be able to trot out Briere and Giroux as our front line centers for all that long if we're serious about competing for a Cup. Briere is ultimately going to have to slide to the wing in the coming years, and we'll roll with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier, IMO.

I don't know how you rectify that short term.
I'm with you on this one. I don't think another year of Jr will necessarily hurt Couturier's development. He'll get a chance for a leading role at the WJC, but he could do that by being loaned to Team Canada by the Flyers too.

If he is one of the top 9 forwards coming out of camp, he should be considered for the team. If not, back to Jr.

I hate to harp on it, but the '85 SCF team had sophmore Sutters and rookies Tocchet, Zezel, Smith, Bergen (IIRC) so it's not as if having two highly regarded, talented rookies is going to necessarily hurt a team with some strong veteran leaders and a nice mix of young guys too.

As far as trotting out Giroux and Briere as top Cs, they were the 2 and 3Cs for an SCF run, with an arguable 'first' line of Richards and the Broken Feet Boys, Gagne and Carter. Really Giroux was 3C that year.

In deciding to trade Carter and Richards, they decided that Giroux is going to be the 1C with Danny as 2C for another year or two. That Couturier was there at 8 and will replace Briere as 2C someday soon was just a complete bonus.

Then there is the continuing Stamkos saga. He would have to play 1C, with Briere moving over in the role of Martin St. Louis.

I think Schenn can be a credible 3C now, or he could play LW with Talbot sliding to 3C.

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek - should be a good line. Voracek is bigger and faster than Leino, but can play the stop short or crash the net game and if he can break out a la JVR last year, it could be a great line.

JVR-Giroux-Jagr - I can see Jagr's vision and strength being a great help to this line. Jagr's puck control game will make Giroux even more dangerous and JVR will get lots of nice passes from his linemates.

Talbot/Nodl-Schenn-Simmonds - This will be one of the big camp Qs. Will Nodl or Talbot end up at 3LW? Is Couturier good enough to beat them BOTH out for 3LW, if not, it's back the Q?

Talbot/Nodl-Betts-Sestito/Holmstrom/Read/Rinaldo/Testwuide/Wellwood/Shelley

The battle for 4th line positions should be pretty fierce, esp. if they go after Drury as mentioned by Eskin.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote