View Single Post
Old
09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Started my son at 4, skating once a week. Went into initiation at 5 (once a week on the ice), pre-novice at 6 (hockey twice a week, power skating once a week). He's now pretty good, level 4 in Novice (as a 7 year old, Novice is 7 & 8 year olds) out of 14 levels .
Smartest thing I ever did was every day after skating in initiation (he really didnt like skating that much at 1st) , we went to Burgur King which he loved (they had a play gym). That way, he looked forward to skating cause he knew it meant Burgur King. Eventually, he became a pretty good skater so he looked forward to skating for its own sake.
Unless your kid is one of those few precocious skaters, not many kids will like it at 1st because skating is , at 1st anyways, veeeery difficult & who likes falling on their can a bunch of times.
And while some may think I am a nut, I am not even close compared to other hockey Dad's. Alot of them have there 3, 4 & 5 year olds on the ice 3-4 times a week. The thing is, while these kids likely will be better when they are younger, as they get older all kids will whatever their "true" level is, irrerspective of how good/how much they played when they were younger.

Last edited by Sammy*: 09-17-2005 at 08:03 PM.