View Single Post
Old
07-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Do people really think that Teemu Selanne is a better hockey player than Jagr? I mean i guess it is a close discussion, but i think Jagr is better.

Selanne: 1.06ppg
Jagr: 1.25ppg

Selanne: 41 years old
Jagr: 39 years old

I guess you can argue that Teemu has better team mates but i don't know about that ( i rarely watch west coast games, let alone anaheim games..) so someone will have to school me on that. But based on Teemu being 2 years older and producing OVER a point per game last year, to me, it's easy to see how Jagr could easily get 1.0 ppg or up to his season average, 1.25 at 80 games: 100 points. I CALL 100 POINTS.
There's not that much difference between 39 and 41. Their career PPG averages are basically irrelevant as well. I don't know if Teemu's teammates are better, but Anaheim's forwards are likely as good or better than Philadelphia's current forwards. More importantly is the continuity that Selanne has had with Anaheim and many of his teammates. Still, to a large degree in Jagr's case I think it has less to do with how good his linemates are and more to do with how well their styles complement his. Also, Anaheim has had a very good power play the past three seasons, to which Selanne was been a big contributor and from which he also has benefited. Philadelphia had a very good power play recently, until last season. If Jagr can get the power play back to previous form for the Flyers, then he could surpass Selanne's recent performance, otherwise I am doubtful that he can do so. Finally, it's not only a matter of what Jagr could/can do... but what he will do, which likely includes saving himself a bit for the playoffs. Even at age 40, he will be a focal point for the opposition and take a lot of punishment, so he has to leave something in the tank for spring.